Essay-Reviews and Reviews
The Reviewer's Corner of Ellen's website includes a selection of her published reviews and essay-reviews on literature. Although the pieces are subdivided chronologically, the perspective she necessarily takes is that of a reader coming to terms with different aspects of modern and post- modern critical thought as they reveal themselves in different critical-scholarly treatments of literature, film, and the visual arts.
Nineteenth Century Literature and Film Adaptations
- Review of Child Murder & British Culture: 1720-1900 by Josephine McDonagh. Cambridge University Press, 2003, and Fatal Women of Romanticism by Adriana Craciun. Cambridge University Press, 2003. Keats-Shelley Journal, LIV, 2005: 199-202.
- "Taking Sides", Studies in the Novel, 36: 2 (2004): 251-69. An Invited Essay-Review of Leah Price's The Anthology and the Rise of the Novel, Neil McCaw, George Eliot and Victorian Historiography: Imagining the National Past, and Barbara Tepa Lupack, ed. Nineteenth-Century Women at the Movies: Adapting Classic Women's Fiction to Film.
Eighteenth Century Literature
- Review of The Image of Georgian Bath, 1700-200: Towns, Heritage, and History by Peter Borsay. Oxford University Press, 2000. The Scriblerian, 37:1 (Autumn 2004): 89-90.
- A Review of Textual Promiscuities: Eighteenth-Century Critical Rewriting by Antoinette Marie Sol. Lewisburg: Bucknell University Press and London: Associated University Presses, 2002. This review appeared in Burney Letter, 10:2 (Fall 2004): 13-14.
- A Review of Women Writers and the English Nation in the 1790s: Romantic Belongings by Angela Keane. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000. This review appears in ECCB: The Eighteenth Century: A Current Bibliography, 2004)
- A Review of Catharine Trotter: An early modern writer in the vanguard of feminism by Anne Kelley. Hampshire, England: Ashgate, 2002. This review appearsin Scriblerian, 36:1 (August 2003): 58-59.
- A Review-Essay of Eighteenth-Century Women: Studies in Their Lives, Work, and Culture. Linda V. Troost, Editor. Volume 2. New York: AMS Press, 2002. Pp. x + 351; illustrated. This review appeared in The East-Central Intelligencer: The Newsletter of the East-central/American Society for Eighteenth Century Studies, N. S. 17/2 (2003), 24-31.
- A Review of The Anne Finch Wellesley Manuscript Poems, edd. Barbara McGovern and Charles Hinnant. Athens and London: The University of Georgia Press, 1998. Pp. l + 205. A somewhat abbreviated version of this appears in The Scriblerian 33/2 (2001), pp 203-4. I have reprinted this longer one in order to place into circulation more information on the individuals mentioned in, and immediate circumstances surrounding, the poems in question.
- A Review of The Politics of Motherhood: British writing and culture, 1680-1760 by Toni Bowers. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1996. Pp. xvi + 262; illustrated. This review appeared in The East-Central Intelligencer: The Newsletter of the East-central/American Society for Eighteenth Century Studies, N.S. 10 (Sept. 1996), 19-21.
- A Review of In a Fast Coach with a Pretty Women: Jane Austen and Samuel Johnson by Gloria Sybil Gross. AMS Studies in the Eighteenth Century No. 40. New York: AMS Pr, 2002. Pp. 208. ISBN 0-404-63540-7. $62.50. For The East-Central Intelligencer: The Newsletter of the East-central/American Society for Eighteenth Century Studies, N.S. 18:3 (Sept 2004): 30-32.
- A Review of Reshaping the Sexes in Sense and Sensibility by Moreland Perkins. Charlottesville and London: University Press of Virginia, 1998. Pp. xi + 208. $24.50. This is an expanded version of the review which appeared in The Journal of English and Germanic Philology, 99:1 (January 2000): 141-43.
- An Essay-Review of Topic: A Journal of the Liberal Arts: Jane Austen Goes to the Movies, No. 48, Washington and Jefferson College (November 1997). This is a somewhat modified version of the review-essay which appeared in The East-Central Intelligencer: The Newsletter of the East-Central/American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, N.S. 12 (Sept. 1998), 12-17. I have since writing that essay done more research whose results I now include in the form of small revisions of the text, added notes, and a select bibliography.
Page Last Updated 15 December 2005